Wine Advocate 2018:
- Mas Donis Old Vines 2015: 90p. “The 2015 Mas Donis Old Vines is the custom cuvée for the US market. It’s mostly Garnacha with some Syrah fermented separately in stainless steel with some 50% full clusters followed by malolactic in concrete and bottled after 80% of the wine matured in French oak barrels for nine months. Of course, 2015 is a warm and dry vintage, and the wine shows the character of the year, in a nice way, with peachy and floral rather than pruney aromas. It’s a very good value, and it’s also juicy and approachable and serious enough for more sophisticated consumers.”
Jeb Dunnuck, February 2018:
- Mas Donis old vines 2015: 92 points.”The deep ruby/purple colored 2015 Mas Donis Old Vines is billed as a poor man’s Priorat from Importer Eric Solomon and I certainly can’t disagree with him. Blackberries, blueberries, peppery, hints of violets and some minerality all emerge from this juicy, ripe, sexy red that’s an undeniable joy to drink. The wine is a blend of 85% Garnacha and 15%Syrah, brought up all in concrete tanks”.
Gilbert Gaillard 2017:
- Mas Donis Old Vines 2015: GOLD
The wine advocate 2016:
- Mas Donis old vines 2014: 90 Points. It’s a mini-Rhône blend of Garnacha with some 15% Syrah from old vines matured exclusively in concrete. The nose is like Garnacha cotton candy with red fruit and a touch of smoked meat. The tannins are soft and the texture is silky, ending with a very tasty note.
“It seems like some deep changes have happened at the cooperative of Capçanes with a new technical team and a new direction towards finer, more complex and delicate wines with judicious use of oak, fruit-driven and fresher.”
Vinous Media 2016:
- Mas Donis Negre 2014: 91p
Wine Advocate/Robert Parker
- Wine Advocate/Robert ParkerCeller Capcanes 2012 Mas Donis Barrica Montsant, Spain (Red) Rating:94p
Another baby Priorato, the 2012 Mas Donis, a custom cuvée from Eric Solomon, is composed of 85% Grenache and 15% Syrah aged nine months in both new and used French and American oak. The Grenache comes from 70-year-old vines, and the Syrah from 30-year-old vines. It is difficult to find a better value than this incredibly rich effort. The bouquet offers up a smorgasbord of aromas, including crushed rocks, spring flowers, kirsch liqueur and blacker fruits. Full-bodied with a velvety, voluptuous texture, and admirable opulence, density, purity and texture, it is nearly impossible to believe that something this good could be priced at $12 a bottle. Consume it over the next year.
“The Wine Advocate”, Robert Parker, Jay Miller, USA:
- “Mas Donis Barrica’2010, 2012: 92p “..When I was covering all the Spanish wines, this was one of my great value picks in the early days, and I am thrilled to see there are now 8,000 cases of this “baby Priorat” from nearby Montsant available in the American market.
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2009”, may 2011: 89 p“…excellent length. It is an outstanding value…”
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2007”, feb 2009: 90 p“…a wine with remarkable depth and concentration for its humble price, savory flavors and a fruit-filled finish…”
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2006”: 89 p
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2005”: 91 p “…an great value!”
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2004”: 90 p“…an outstanding value!”
- “Mas Donis Barrica 2003”: 92 p“…Its dense ruby/purple color is followed by sumptuous aromas of blueberries, black currants, cold steel, and minerals. Evocative of a baby Priorat, it possesses an amazing fragance, considerable nobility as well as complexity, medium to full body, and a long, concentrated heady finish..!”
- “Mas Donis Barrica 2002”: 90 p“ ..like a baby Priorat…complex, rich and nearly too serious for a wine in this price range… ”
- “Mas Donis Barrica 2001”: 91 p
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2000”: 89 p“ Two of the finest values I have discovered thus far in 2003… ”
- “Mas Donis Barrica 1999”: 89/90points“An amazing cuvée… A super-value, …big, … concenctrated…”:
- Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar -Josh Raynolds
2009 Mas Donis Barrica Old Vines Montsant ($13) (85% garnacha and 15% syrah, raised in French and American barrels that range from new to five years old): Vivid ruby. Explosively perfumed nose displays raspberry, fresh rose and sexy oak spices. Lush but energetic, with vivid red berry flavors and a silky, seamless texture. Turns more tangy on the finish, which clings with very good tenacity. 90 points
“Fine Cooking”, Doug Frost, Nov 2009,USA:
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2007”: An incredible bargain from one of Montsant´s top producersl!
“Toronto Life – Spanish Revival”, Jan 2010,Canada:
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2007”: “..verve and depth…dense and juicy…”91 points!
“International Wine Cellar”, Stephen Tanzer, USA:
- “Mas Donis Barrica´08: 89 (+?) p
- “Mas Donis Barrica´07: 90 p
- “Mas Donis Barrica´06: 90 p
- “Mas Donis Barrica´05: 89 p
- “Mas Donis Barrica´04: 88 p
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2000: 89 p“..this is richer and deeper than a wine at this price has any right to be…Like a baby Priorat wine..”
- “Mas Donis Barrica´98: 88 p“an excellent value!”
“The Second Glass”, Boston, USA:
- “Mas Donis Barrica´2007: “.. big-time wine at low-ball price. Concentrated,.. diverse …your drinking companions venerate you as their wine-buying deity..”